Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The Corries- My Dear only Love {Rare Recording}



"The Great Montrose" they called him and I first came across this I don't know when. James Graham, the 1st Marquess of Montrose is remembered today as the brilliant Scottish General in the War of the Three Kingdoms. The title should read, "My Dear and Only Love" but I'll let the Corries tell the story. They say General Montgomery used a verse from this to rally his troops before the Normandy Landings. (Wikipedia). Montrose died as he wrote. (1612 - 1650)

He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all.

Roy Williamson of the Corries wrote "Flower of Scotland". The other member above is Ronnie Browne.

With thanks to fireflyxI5 who loaded and youtube.


No comments: