Sunday, February 2, 2014

Robbie Burns ( 1759 - 1796)

Robbie Burns



I watched a documentary on Robbie Burns about a week back and very interesting as well. Robbie was very much an anti-establishment figure and a bit wild as they'd say around here. He died very young and according to wikipedia after a tooth extraction though with the added info from the documentary of being advised by his doctor to bathe in a river or such, so as to bring his temperature down. I'm sure it would! Today they'd have him on "tablets". Robbie was a great poet though and I believe he married the words to the music rather than the other way around. Anyway that's what I took from the program! I picked a song from the Scottish folk group the Corries because I was given a collection of them many years ago by a Scottish gentleman whose sympathies were not of a mind to some of Robbie's views. The songs are fine though, please enjoy. As to a parcel of rogues, sure we could go pound for pound! I believe Willie G. Hodgins who is chairman of The Meath Writers' Circle is also involved in the Burns' Society and with a few other members of the group "celebrated" the "night" up in Dublin  With thanks to youtube and the person who posted!

No comments: