Sunday, June 20, 2010

Scurlogstown Olympiad!







Scurlogstown Olympiad.
With an hour to spare I dropped into the Bardic Hut at the Scurlogstown Olympiad with a few poetry books in the hope that I might sell a few and went for a wander around the grounds.If it's variety you're after then this is the place for you with everything from an anchor to a needle and the entertainment to boot. About two years ago I managed to catch some of the sheaf throwing contest and unless you were there to witness it it is difficult to believe anyone could actually throw something so far into the air. I believe a world record of 62 feet was achieved at last year's festival. Almost not humanly possible! On the way out I was drawn into a quick draw contest, if you'll pardon the pun, where they were using replica colt 45s, with blanks I should hasten to add, and all for charity. So I hope they raised lots of money. Was I fast? Well the code of the west's you don't draw on a stranger! And I'd have liked to try the archery, but had to go. Lucky for some! So next year if you have the time, a great day out!
Photos: Flags, men of the west, and the castle across the river.

No comments: