Friday, July 12, 2024

The Planter's Daughter - Ar Eirinn Ni Neosainn Cé Hí - Tommy Makem and L...

The Planter's Daughter - Ar Eirinn Ní Neosainn Cé Ní


The prompt for the next meeting at An Tobar is the poet Austin Clarke (1896 - 1974) and I thought I'd look up a poem of his which is perhaps one of his best known and recited most often. A beautiful piece it is used as the introduction here to Liam singing Ar Eirinn Ní Neosainn Cé Hí which translates as For Ireland I'd Not Tell Her Name. A story of a lost love that is said to have been written about 1810 in Kerry. The backstory here is worth checking out and if you go the comments section on Youtube there is some information there.The video was loaded by Ireland 1 so with thanks and appreciated. Liam Clancy - Tommy Makem - what can you say? This was recorded I believe in the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin in 1977.

* The Gaelic spelling here varies from site to site so I'll have to leave that to the scholars.  

No comments: