Saturday, December 4, 2021

The Ballad Of James Larkin (Live On ‘Ballad Sheet’, 1969, RTÉ)

Decade of Centenaries 1912 ~ 1923! 


Looking for something to mark the above I couldn't find anything relating to County Meath, though other counties have material up. Not saying it's not there, just didn't find it. I note that Sligo has two contributions from writers who contributed to this year's magazine. ( Michael Farry and Joe McGowan) and Michael would have mentioned many of the characters involved in the Sligo area in his book of poems 'Troubles' 2020. 

I settled on the above because of the quality of the recording and it's Christy at his absolute best. I wonder if either Larkin or Connolly were to come back today what would they make of it all. Not much I'd imagine, though I watched another Connolly (Catherine) address the Dáil and she seemed the real deal. The Dáil looked empty. Loaded by Universal Music Group and with thanks. 

Add Michael McNamara to the comment about Catherine Connolly.   

The song was written by Donagh MacDonagh (1912 - 1968) who was the son of Thomas MacDonagh and Muriel Gifford.   

No comments: