Monday, April 15, 2019

Boyne Berries 25!

Boyne Berries 25!


With the rain coming down outside, a good time for a read through on what is an excellent production with some of the best known writers in Ireland here and more than a few from much further afield. It really is quite a collection and their twenty fifth in all so congratulations all round. On a once through and you read till you stop the first poem to make me pull over * was, "To my sister" by Meadhbh MacCarthy which has more than a little charm and a lovely surprise. "Still Life with Morning" by Orla Fay is one of the finest descriptive poems I've read  and would or should be a prize winner anywhere. "I never learned to stay" by Susan Millar DuMars is more than a fine piece of work and that's how the light gets in as they say. Who said that? Staying on the same theme almost, "A Butterfly's Blind Spot" comes with a little insight and certain observation and is an excellent piece though I'd question the double spacing. Original and good. As is the one that follows by Kate Dempsey, "As They Left the Moon at Taurus-Littrow". "O Sacrament Most Holy" by Anne Tannam is another charming piece and "Rose of my Heart" by Ron Whitehead is a piece of fine writing. I really enjoyed, "Mabel in St. John's Harbour" by Carolyne Van Der Meer and if I had to cherry pick it was that or the editor. Finally the last poem by Frances Browne, " Silver" required reading. More sense than I... Who said that? And one for those who can't stop! Great piece also in the Prose section, "Empty Frames" by Olivia Fitzsimons. Now the rain has eased off and I must go! To purchase a copy, link to the right: Boyne Berries. And you should and perhaps if I'd read on another day...

No comments: