Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Asking For Directions/Michael Farry

Asking For Directions/ Michael Farry


I've  stopped once or twice to ask for directions and the encounters were often worthy of a poem or two though I doubt if I could do them the same justice or make the keen observations that Michael Farry has managed in this collection. A blend of journey and family history and verse that often misleads in that the end is sometimes more than you'd expect. The poems are grouped into three different sections and needless to say the "Western Trilogy" is the one I dipped into first, though there are many fine poems here and it would be very hard to cherry pick. Maybe -Shackleton On South Georgia- or -Philately- or any one of a dozen others, though I'm not so sure I'd agree with the observation on the saloon customers who mustered smoking at the church gate after second mass. They reminded me of the ones who never went in and remained outside waiting for the pubs to open. This is one for your collection and if you click on the link to Michael Farry's blog over to your right you can find info on how to purchase, or I would imagine any good bookshop will do the trick. Doghouse Press and €12 euro and a must for the bookshelves.

No comments: