Friday, May 16, 2008

Poems about War.

The next few poems
touch lightly on the
subject of war.
A safe distance you
might say!

Correspondents.

I drove downtown
the night the Gulf War started,
and it was an eerie feeling.
There was nobody there.
Everyone had gone home
to watch the war on television.
Stocked up on foodstuffs.
Filled the bath full of water.
Crisscrossed the windows
with masking tape and waited,
listening to the World Service.
Until struck
by the similarity of language.
A book is a dangerous thing.
Photograph: The river Boyne at
Navan Co.Meath
Spring 2008.

1 comment:

MichaelSheils said...

HI Frank, in Poland using my son's computer. I'm just after visiting a Russian World War War 2 Cemetary, then I logged on and saw your poem which happened to be about war. They say the ideal age for a soldier is between 17 and 22. The thing that struck me about the cemetary here is the average age 35/50's on the tombstones,over 4000 died liberating this town Kedzieryn-Kozle in Southern Poland. Most of the young men were already dead fighting in the war. I'm being called for my dinner. See you later